Saturday, August 17, 2013

Never Pick On a Jaguar Princess

I'm stepping into the world of young adult fiction with this new novella, which I'm publishing today/tonight on Amazon.com. I've written it under a new name (actually my maiden name) T. Lynn Odom. I'll add the link once it goes live, but for now, here's the kiss scene from this young adult paranormal:



“Tonight was fun,” Ryan said as they reached the door. He, too, seemed a little nervous, putting his hands in his pockets then taking them out again.

“It was.” She tightened her grip on her purse strap and wished that Aunt Deb hadn’t turned on the porch light. It seemed to glare down on them like a spotlight. Surely, if any of those itchy freckles appeared on her face and neck, they’d be obvious to Ryan. “I’m looking forward to tomorrow night…if I make the team, that is. I mean…even if I don’t make the team…oh…you know what I mean.”

“You’ll make it.” He took his hands out of his pockets once more. “I have confidence in you. And whatever happens, we’ll have our date anyway…if you want.”

She nodded. “I do.”

Ryan didn’t move.

Is he going to kiss me or not?

Her heart pounded and the glow from the porch light appeared even brighter.

Do I have popcorn in my teeth? Do I have soda breath? I should have grabbed a mint!

“Well…” His hands hung awkwardly at his sides. “I guess I’ll see you at the track. Tomorrow afternoon.”

Oh, I must have awful breath!

She resisted the urge to cover her mouth with her hand. “Yeah. I’ll, um…see you then.”

His dark brown eyes focused on hers and they took on a moist, almost dreamy glow. His lips parted and he leaned toward her.

He is going to kiss me!

Panic engulfed Juli. She couldn’t breathe. Her skin felt too tight and it itched all over. She just knew her face was breaking out in spots again, and her heart beat so fast she was afraid it was going to spring right through her ribs.

And then his lips touched hers and she forgot all about spots and itching and too-fast heart beats. She was enraptured by her first genuine kiss. It was softer than she had ever imagined, and it tasted sweet. He tasted sweet.

His hand came up to touch one side of her face, and Juli leaned into him, gripping the front of his shirt. His other hand touched her waist as the kiss went on in slow-motion ecstasy.

After another wonderful moment, Ryan drew back, smiling. “Good night,” he whispered, lowering his hand to his side.

“Good night,” she whispered back and released her hold on his shirt.

He walked to the edge of the porch and turned to face her. His smile became a grin as he walked backward down the porch steps and along the sidewalk.

Juli grinned, too, never breaking his gaze until he reached the driver’s side of his Jeep. He lifted a hand and waved. Waving back, Juli opened the front door and slipped inside the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment